Car Accident Attorneys in Maryland
Get Help from Experienced Trial Lawyers in Prince Georges, Charles, Calvert & Anne Arundel
Being in a car accident is one of the most stressful situations you can experience. In addition to the damage done to your vehicle, you may also be suffering from injuries, some of which are so severe they can require tens of thousands of dollars to treat. Injuries can also put you out of work at a time where you need financial stability the most. The hardest part of it all is knowing that your accident and losses could’ve been prevented.
At Potter Burnett Law, our Maryland car accident attorneys fight for everyday victims of car crashes. By holding negligent drivers responsible for their actions, we can obtain the full amount of compensation available to you so you can reclaim your life and move on. Call us today to handle your case while you focus on healing.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents are one of the leading causes of injury in the United States, as more than six million occur annually, and two million drivers experience permanent injuries according to the NHTSA. There are countless different types of car crashes, which is why the range of injuries that can occur is so wide. Injuries can include whiplash, abrasions, broken bones, spinal cord and neck injuries, amputations, traumatic brain injuries, and more.
Some of the top causes of car accidents in the United States include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted drivers are anyone who doesn’t have their complete attention on the road while driving. Texting and talking on the phone, eating and drinking, having conversations, and even adjusting your radio can count as types of distracted driving.
- Speeding: Drivers who go above the posted speed limit run the risk of getting into car accidents because the faster they drive, the slower their reaction time. Speeding drivers are less likely to swerve or brake successfully to avoid an accident in time.
- Drunk driving: Individuals who drive under the influence of alcohol pose a danger to themselves and others, as alcohol severely impairs one’s judgment and motor functions, both of which are needed to navigate the road safely. Drunk drivers are prone to falling asleep at the wheel, speeding, failing to stop at red lights and stop signs, and swerving.
- Reckless driving: Careless driving involves dangerous behaviors that put other drivers and passengers at risk, from weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating to making lane changes without signaling or checking one’s blind spots.
- Design defects: While negligent drivers account for many car accidents, sometimes a defective or malfunctioning vehicle part can contribute to a crash. One common example of a design defect is faulty car brakes. In these cases, the manufacturer may be held liable for damages.
Ways to Help Prevent a Car Accident
- Don't tailgate
- Pull into traffic slowly
- Always keep a hand on the steering wheel
- Perform routine car maintenance
How Our Lawyers Can Help
After your accident, it may seem obvious to you that you deserve compensation from the at-fault driver. No matter how straightforward your accident may seem, however, it’s possible for complications to arise. Insurance adjusters often attempt to undermine victims’ claims to avoid giving them the compensation they deserve. Having an experienced car accident lawyer protecting your rights can ensure you have a successful case.
Our firm has successfully recovered millions for our valued clients and aren’t afraid to go to trial if that’s what it takes to win. Damages we can recover for you include:
- Past and future medical bills
- Lost income
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship (in some cases, like wrongful death suit)
- Funeral and burial expenses (in a wrongful death suit)
When you work with our firm, we directly connect you with your lawyer so you can remain updated at all times. Our clients’ well-being comes first.
- Common Spinal Injuries That May Result From a Car Accident
- How to Handle Maryland Car Accidents with Out of State Drivers
- Common Car Accident Injuries
- The Financial Burden of Car Accidents
- 3 Common Mistakes to Avoid After a Car Accident
For client-focused legal service, turn to our team at Potter Burnett Law. Our Maryland car accident lawyers can fight on your behalf. Call (301) 804-6784.
$26,000,000 Settlement Vehicle Defect
In 1996, a Clarksburg man was in a motor vehicle accident while driving his 1987 Ford F-150 pickup.
$1,380,000 Car Accident Verdict
Our client suffered a comminuted fracture of his arm when a commercial vehicle pulled out in front of him on the highway.
$1,100,000 Car Accident Verdict
Baltimore mother and daughter rear-ended on route 301 in Virginia. Physical therapy treatment only.
$1,068,000 Car Accident Verdict
Charles County client injured when a car turned left in front of him.
$993,650 Car Accident Verdict
Woman rear ended by a hit and run vehicle and suffered lower back injury.
$650,000 Car Accident Verdict
Client was a passenger in a car, and suffered serious injuries.
$600,000 Car Accident Verdict
Our client was t-boned when the adverse driver ran a red light. Client had conservative treatment, no injections or surgery.
$550,000 Car Accident Settlement
Prince George’s county car crash – 52 year old man injured neck, had surgery with full recovery.
$435,000 Car Accident Settlement
Client was violently rear ended and spent time in hospital and rehabilitation facility.