Maryland Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Bicyclists Trust Us in Times of Legal Need
Don’t let a motorist get away with hitting you while you were riding your bicycle in Maryland. You can hold them liable for all of your damages. But it might be an uphill battle. This is where the legal services of Potter Burnett Law and our bike accident attorneys become so irreplaceable.
We have many years of legal experience under our belts. You can let us take over your case, rather than trying to handle everything on your own. We can work on your case as if we were representing ourselves, that’s just how close to our heart we take everything. This deliberate approach to how we manage a case has helped us secure countless victories throughout the years.
Trust in our winning team. Call (301) 804-6784 now.
Common Causes of Bike Accidents
Bicycle accidents are often not the result of a bicycle rider’s mistakes. Instead, it is the mistakes of a motorist near them that causes the crash, which can seem very unfair because the bicyclist will be the one who is badly injured. To make the matter even more frustrating, most drivers will deny all liability right away. They don’t want to be known as the driver who hurt a bicyclist, so they try to fight the case as much as they can, and their insurance providers are happy to oblige.
To make your bicycle accident case stand a chance in and out of court, it is important to fully understand the cause of your wreck. By finding out the cause, our attorneys can pinpoint liability and place it on the driver.
What are some common causes of bicycle accidents?
- Drivers who drive in dedicated bicycle lanes.
- Drivers who turn or merge without checking their mirrors for a bicyclist there.
- Drivers who try to pass a bicyclist when it wasn’t safe to do so.
- Motorists who open their doors into a bike lane abruptly.
How a Bicyclist Can Stay Safe While Riding
A bicycle can be partially liable for their bicycle accident damages if they:
- Wear a helmet: Maryland law does not require bicyclists to wear a helmet if they are over the age of 16. However, not wearing a helmet can increase your liability for any damages related to a head or neck injury you suffer in a crash. The defense can argue that you accepted the risk of worsened injuries in a potential crash by deliberately not wearing a helmet.
- Use a dedicated bicycle lane: Bicycle riders should always use a dedicated bicycle lane when possible. Choosing not to use an available bike lane and, instead, riding alongside motorists in larger vehicles can potentially increase a bicyclist’s liability if a crash happens.
- Follow the rules of the road: Just like drivers, bicyclists need to follow the rules of the road as well. If they do not – such as failing to use appropriate hand signals when changing lanes or turning – then the bicyclist’s liability will likely increase by a significant margin.
Call Our Firm Today – We Want to Help
Get in touch with our firm to begin discussing what you can do after being hit while riding your bicycle. Our Maryland bike accident attorneys are standing by. We offer free consultations to inquiring clients, so you can learn more about your rights as an injured bicyclist without reaching for your wallet first.
GetTing the Results You deserveRead Our Recent Motor Vehicle Accident Case Victories
$26,000,000 Settlement Vehicle Defect
In 1996, a Clarksburg man was in a motor vehicle accident while driving his 1987 Ford F-150 pickup.
$1,380,000 Car Accident Verdict
Our client suffered a comminuted fracture of his arm when a commercial vehicle pulled out in front of him on the highway.
$1,100,000 Car Accident Verdict
Baltimore mother and daughter rear-ended on route 301 in Virginia. Physical therapy treatment only.
$1,068,000 Car Accident Verdict
Charles County client injured when a car turned left in front of him.
$993,650 Car Accident Verdict
Woman rear ended by a hit and run vehicle and suffered lower back injury.
$650,000 Car Accident Verdict
Client was a passenger in a car, and suffered serious injuries.
$600,000 Car Accident Verdict
Our client was t-boned when the adverse driver ran a red light. Client had conservative treatment, no injections or surgery.
$550,000 Car Accident Settlement
Prince George’s county car crash – 52 year old man injured neck, had surgery with full recovery.
$435,000 Car Accident Settlement
Client was violently rear ended and spent time in hospital and rehabilitation facility.